View Single Post
Old 12-16-2009, 05:41 AM
Ed McCollum

Default There are big gaps in the life of Howe,

but from birth to 1918, I know where he was. Birth records show he was born the son of John McCormick at 500 W. Main St., Gainesville, Fl in July of 1896. His army discharge papers in 1919 list his home address as being in Acuta, FL (the handwriting on those forms is hard to read, but that is the best I can make out from the scans I've recieved). So his cards had to be collected, and stamped with that home address between 1909 and 1919, between the ages of 13 and 23. The next record for him show he, his wife and daughter living at the same address listed on the discharge papers (that was the 1935 census) and his occupation was 'sales'. No more records exist until a death certificate filed on July 31, 1976. So to have stamped those cards with that address, there was a narrow time from birth to around age 23 he lived at that address. I do have the one card that uses his first name (Urich), middle initial (H) and the same 500 West Main address, but also lists him as an Agent for the Saturday Evening Post. I've talked to several who thought maybe as a "delivery boy" for the post, he had to stamp invoices to those he took the paper to, and probably had several stamps for such purposes/ That part is a wild guess.