View Single Post
Old 10-18-2019, 06:15 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
I know nothing about the modern market, and very little about the market for cards after 1930+/-, but with respect to the old-vintage (the stuff we talk about on net54), I believe PWCC has not been doing well of late. In my opinion, the pre-war offerings in the past three auctions have been inferior to what PWCC has previously offered, and the prices on many (not all) cards that I follow have been lower than historic. Regarding the offerings, I do believe a number of would-be-consignors have opted to hold off and/or consign elsewhere. This conclusion is based on both conversations with people and what I see being (or not being) offered in the past few auctions. Regarding prices, I believe there are several reasons for this: the sales tax argument is interesting, but it has not affected Heritage, and it has not really altered the way I buy, so based solely on those two points, I don’t think it’s a main reason. Instead, I think there is less shilling (perhaps pwcc is policing more now that they are under investigation) and I do believe less people are bidding.
i don't have specific numbers to back this up, but IMO the non-sports/cards outside the big four sports have been pretty weak lately, compared to previous PWCC auctions. PWCC used to always have some obscure non-sports stuff in every one of their auctions that I had never seen before. That really has not been the case at all the last several auctions.

That being said, I realize Teddy Roosevelt, Charles Lindbergh and P.T. Barnum are a tiny drop in the bucket when bidders are dropping $200,000 on a Derek Jeter card.

Last edited by Bored5000; 10-18-2019 at 07:20 AM.