View Single Post
Old 07-05-2008, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Default Exciting New Discovery: Archibald "Moonlight" Graham item (Field of Dreams)

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

I have been around this hobby for a long time and this was new to me, so I figured I would share with the collective. I have always liked the 1902-10 W601 Sporting Life Team Composites, as they are rare opportunities to see players of whom cards were never made.

I picked up the 1907 Scranton BBC W601 a few weeks ago and was thrilled to find a young man known to most of us through the epic baseball movie "Field of Dreams." The player was Archibald "Moonlight" Graham, who just as was said in the movie played in the majors but never had an official at bat. He would later quit professional baseball and become the town Doctor in a small Minnesota town for the rest of his life, earning the respect of nearly everyone who would come to know him.

I was unaware of any items that could even loosely be described as "baseball cards" or anything included in the ACC that included Graham up until now. He plyed for the Scranton Minors off-and-on from 1905-1908 (one of the nearly baseball card free eras) and was one of their usual outfielders.

Anyways, I thought there would be some interest among those in the hobby that really love the history of the game. Below are some pictures, there is some staining, but it isn't as bad as the large picture makes it seem(as can be seen in the close up photo).

I have not yet decided what I will do with the piece, but may just keep it.

-Rhett

Large photo of whole piece:

Close up of Archibald "Moonlight" Graham