View Single Post
Old 12-01-2020, 06:24 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Fan View Post
For those that didn't make the switch but had some things still listed, has it been determined that those keep rolling over and you are able to sell whatever you had listed before the deadline arrived?

I have to switch by Dec. 31 but I'm thinking about listing as much as possible before that and then retiring from eBay.
Any Good Til Cancelled listings you have active before your drop-dead date will remain active and available for purchase until sold or ended by you. Whether eBay continues to include them in search results or disadvantages them in some way is not clearly indicated, but it seems likely that, all else equal, they will promote listings that are in Managed Payments over listings for the same items that are not in Managed Payments.

Any store subscriptions you have remain active and charged at the full rate, regardless of whether you can actually add new listings, and the same early-termination penalties for cancelled or downgrading your Store prior to the end of the annual term will apply.

That said, I am not 100% certain whether / how eBay actually blocks sellers from adding listings. My own experience was that unrelated issues with adding listings cropped up at about the same time as my deadline for entering Managed Payments, leading me to believe that eBay was blocking me from adding new listings. I'm now certain that the issue was not related (still an eBay issue, but unrelated to Managed Payments), but the timing was such that I went ahead and made the move rather than risk being cut off.

I have heard from at least one other who was still able to add new listings after their drop-dead date, which makes me wonder if I actually had to transition after all, but there's no "undo button" or save points in life or Managed Payments that would allow me to go back and try things differently. So far, Managed Payments has been okay, but I much preferred the previous arrangement with Paypal as the processor. As it is, with the delay in transferring funds from my bank account to Paypal (mostly to cover recurring expenses previously set to draft from my Paypal balance), I find myself both not using Paypal for making purchases, and making fewer purchases in general. I haven't had any issues with receiving my payouts from Managed Payments, but the delays and friction that the change has introduced in receiving and using those funds have made me much less likely to spend them back on eBay than when Paypal was my payments processor.

In my case, quitting eBay altogether wasn't really an option, but if you're looking at quitting eBay as an ultimate outcome anyway, what you have suggested seems reasonable. There wouldn't be any kind of penalty for loading up on new listings at the last minute (other than the usual listing fees that would otherwise apply), so the only risk would be sunk cost from listing or subscription fees if eBay hides the items from search visibility, or possibly early-termination fees for a store subscription. Otherwise, if something sells, you would continue to receive the funds in your Paypal account as usual until you opt in to Managed Payments, and I would be curious to hear if you are actually cut off, or still able to add new listings after your deadline. Either way though, I have not heard of any instances of eBay holding the proceeds from realized sales hostage to try and force a transition to Managed Payments.