View Single Post
Old 01-15-2009, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Default A refresher course on why the Joe Doyle Nat'l card is so rare

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

I presented my theory that Amer. Litho. (ALC) must have first printed the T206's on Piedmont
backs in your famous EPDG thread back in 2006. Then you coined the phrase "Piedmont Primacy
theory". Well, I am certain this is true for the 150 Series and the 350 Series issues. I'm not too
sure about the 460 Series. And, obvious to most, is that more T206's were inserted in Piedmont
cigarette packs than any other T-brand. If you recall, Bill Heitman chimed in on your EPDG thread
and agreed with me. His comment was that the Piedmont brand was the top of the American To-
bacco Company's "darling" T-brands; and, would get the cards first.

I initially based my theory on these 3 cards (Jennings, Lundgren, and Magie) in the 1st Series of
the T206 set. You see, all 3 of them were printed ONLY with Piedmont 150 backs. Then, when I
realized that the Doyle N.Y. Nat'l card was printed ONLY with a Piedmont 350 back, that served
to reinforce my Piedmont Primacy theory.

[linked image]
[linked image]

Barry....I'll say it again, your EPDG thread, Scot Reader's T206 book and Bill Brown's "Super-Set"
spreadsheet were the "sparks" that have ignited a tremendous amount of new thinking regard-
ing "The Monster". We have learned a lot more about the T206 set; and, in this process, we
have resolved some of its age old mysteries.

TED Z