View Single Post
Old 01-11-2023, 10:49 AM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
I wish they signed him but it looks like Cohen was not willing to go as high as Minnesota. WE know he is not cheap but obviously he is strategic on his money also. Which I respect. So if Correa Got more Good For him

For the Mets and Giants they will move on and we will see what they do. For Me I hope they bring up Baty from the minors and let him compete for the 3rd base job
That's just it, he didn't really get a better deal with Minnesota. The Twins are on the hook--worst case and only if Correa "vests" (whatever that means here) for $270M over 10 years; i.e. 27M per season. The Mets offered him a little more than $26M/season over 12 years with no way out and the Giants offered 26.9M for 13 years with again no way out. I guess the Mets save $7M a year for the first 6 years, but it is understood that contracts of that length are always valued more at the front end, with the team eating a bunch of money at the back.

There may be some other factors such as luxury tax, but otherwise it doesn't seem like much of a stretch to me that the Mets or Giants could have restructured to their advantage and still beat the MN offer, unless I'm missing something.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.