View Single Post
Old 07-26-2021, 03:45 PM
Hank Thomas

Default Strange Auction

The good news is that, thanks to a tip from a Net54 friend about an hour before the live auction was to start, I registered successfully (that was a surprise!) and got in a bunch of bids on some great things, including a "Holy Grail," the Walter Johnson L1 leather, for anywhere between 30% to 50% of what I expected them to go for. Strictly a bottom-feeding exercise, I figured, but was thrilled to find out I had actually won five of the six items I bid on, and I immediately wished I had bid on a bunch more. The 25% vig and payment rules (wire transfer from my bank!) are ridiculous, and I'm bracing for the shipping costs (no clue, but wouldn't be surprised if they soak me for a few hundred more for that.) But even with all those, I'll end up overall paying about half of what I could take these things to the National and sell them to dealers for, and probably do even better in auctions. Especially coming right out of the blue, it was a thrilling experience. But man, I'd hate to be a consignor, at least to this particular auction, and it seems that that they do just about everything to say to intelligent collectors, "we don't give a shit if you bid in our auction or not." How they get consignments, I can't imagine.

Last edited by Hankphenom; 07-26-2021 at 03:49 PM.