View Single Post
Old 12-28-2020, 07:41 AM
Alan Strout

Default 2020 Year in Review

Mark,

You saved some really nice items for the end of the year. The Mort Tadder photos, Brooksie orange uniform and Crown Petroleum banner are all very cool.

I've seen so many new Brooks Robinson and Orioles items posted this year. I can't thank you guys enough for making 2020 a little more bearable.

I've had a pretty good year collecting wise and even added a few items with the help of Net54 members.

Each year, I have some general goals for my collection, as well as some specific goals. I don't know if anyone else does this, but I thought I would take a moment to look at how I did this year.

General goals that carry over each year......

Orioles Team Issued Postcards

Started the year with 2712/2862 known postcards. The Orioles didn't produce many new postcards this year, but I did come across a couple new variations. Ending the year with 2735/2876 for a net gain of 9 postcards, including 2 glossies from 1954-56. Based upon what I still need - Great year

Orioles Team Issued Head Shot Photos

I was able to pick up photos of the new players to make their O's debut in 2020, but still no luck finding any photo of John Buzhardt from 1967. Thanks to Bill, I did add autographs to a few of my older photos.

Orioles Minor League Affiliate Programs

Mostly struck out here too. No programs added from teams I still need, but did add cover variations from a couple teams. Probably impossible to complete this one, but I keep trying.

I set specific card goals to try and complete some Orioles team sets each year. Here's how I fared this year.

Baseball Cards

1954 Dixie Lids (Clint Courtney) - added three new backs, including one large size lid

1963 Jello - added 1 card, still need Russ Snyder

1970-71 Dayton Daily News cards - didn't add any to my 1970 set, but did pick up the 1971 Frank Robinson. Still need four from 1970 and the 1971 Boog Powell

1971 Kelloggs - completed the master set with all back variations

1971 Milk Duds - completed the master set of unopened boxes

1972 Milton Bradley Game - completed

O-Pee-Chee sets

1965 - only 1 left (AL Batting Leaders card #1)
1967 - 2 left (Bob Johnson #38 and John Miller #141)
1968 - 1 left (AL Batting Leaders #2)
1974 - Completed
1976 - Completed
1981 - Completed master set of white backs and tougher gray backs

Topps Venezuelan sets

1964 - Completed
1967 - only 1 card left (Dave McNally #248)

Got closer on a couple other Venezuelan sets. Hoping to finish 1962 or 1966 set this year.

I would love to hear how others did.....