View Single Post
Old 06-17-2022, 02:38 PM

I came across an old legend to your photo of the 1922 Baltimore Orioles. Thank you so much for posting the beautiful photograph. I have copied the legend, and I have added a few suggested corrections. I feel pretty good about the identity of all the players, with the exception of Jackie Reid, who was with the team in late August up to and probably including the Junior World Series in October, but he did not receive any Series bonus. Everyone else in the photo (other than fan and booster Wm. H. "Billy" Gordon) received a full bonus, or in the case of Sewell Dixon & Eddie Weidner, a one-third share. The only other player I am not sure about is Joe Barry, which is a shame because he was the focus of my research. I suspect the photo was taken 2 Oct 1922, when the O's hosted a double header against the International League All-Stars and Gordon hosted his annual dinner for the team, the St. Paul Saints, and League and Baltimore muckety-mucks, just prior to the Junior World Series, which began 4 Oct 1922. The legend is as follows, but bracketed language is mine: BACK ROW, L-R: Harry Fisher [sic, Jackie Reid?], Jack Ogden, Jimmy Walsh, unknown [Joe Barry], Ed Weidner (trainer); Mr. Gordon, Jack Bentley, Lefty Grove, Rube Parnham. MIDDLE ROW, L-R: Wickey McAvoy, Dick Porter, unknown [Sewell W. Dixon], unknown [Harry Gilmore Frank], Jack Dunn (Manager), Max Bishop, Tommy Thomas, Joe Boley. FRONT ROW, L-R: Merwin Jacobson, Otis Lawry, Fritz Maisel, Lena Styles. -- On another note, I noticed that the Library of Congress has a fantastic high resolution photograph of the 1921 Baltimore Orioles, with Oriole Park in the background, if anyone is looking for additional photos.