View Single Post
Old 05-29-2022, 12:24 PM
N.ate A.dams

Thank you so much for this - but now you have me intrigued enough to ask - what is your favorite Mantle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
I will speak from experience. When I was 18 in 1972, and just beginning in the adult card collecting hobby, I was very privileged my dear mother helped me go to my first card show: the big Midwest Sports Collectors Convention in Troy, Michigan. I saw so many wondrous cards; it was overload to the max. I honestly don't recall if I saw a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle there or not.

However, I did get to meet Mr. Larry Fritsch. He was a nice man and very knowledgeable about cards. He was making a name for himself as a big dealer. Well, late that year, right after Christmas in fact, I wrote a letter to Larry expressing my desire for a really nice 1952 Mickey Mantle. I'm sure I figured if anyone had one, he would. Years earlier I'd written to Bruce Yeko at Wholesale Cards, and he did not have one, but said if he did it would be $20, a whopper of a price to me. So, I waited to see what Larry Fritsch had to say.

Early in 1973, I received his return letter. He was very nice. He told me he had just one left, in mint condition, and he would sell it to me for $25. He also said he'd hold it for me until I responded. His asking price seemed very fair, by this time. I didn't have twenty-five bucks. As a high school senior, and a track runner, I had no money. By this time, my mother was a widow. Money was tight. I suppose I felt in my guts this would be my only chance to get this Mickey. I wanted it very badly. I somehow convinced my dear Mom this would be a dream card for me. I don't recall our exact conversation, but she agreed, and sent Mr. Fritsch a check.

Within ten days, a small husky brown padded package arrived. When I opened it, I was overwhelmed with how beautiful the card was. The colors were so intense. The picture registry was perfect. There wasn't a print spot to be found at all. The centering was not perfect, but most acceptable, just a tsch shy of 60-40 both ways. The condition was probably EX-MT. I was way, way more than satisfied. You can best be sure I thanked, hugged, and kissed my dear mother for her kindness and sacrifice.

I tried to take as good of care of it as I knew how. I looked at it every so often, but not all the time. Maybe I didn't want it to become routine to my eyes. Anyway, it was always, and I mean ALWAYS, a big thrill to see it. Eventually, 23 years later, married with a son, living in a very hot in the summer, and very cold in the winter, 100+ year-old upstairs apartment, I knew I had to do something to get us out of there. It was time to raise some money for a down payment on a house. So, among some of my cherished cards, the '52 Topps Mickey Mantle was consigned to a Mr. Mint Alan Rosen phone auction. After his cut, I got a little over $8,000 for that card. Sure, it was hard, but my family and I couldn't live any longer in those conditions. I wanted to add that my dearest darling did not demand I sell the '52 Topps Mantle masterpiece; it was my own decision. I loved my dear wife and son that much. They were worth it.

I cannot answer if the card is over-priced today. I was never able to replace mine. Do I miss it?

What do you think? Many a day I've missed it.

Any regrets?

No.

As far as whether the 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle is over-hyped, I would definitely say it is hyped as much as it should be. I love Mickey Mantle, and his '52 Topps was my co-favorite card of his, or at least my second favorite Mantle. My co-favorite Mantle, or favorite Mick, was a card I would not sell when deciding what to part with to raise funds for a home. I much more favored that one because I KNEW there wasn't another as nice, and KNEW I'd never be able to replace it. I'm getting off the subject; excuse me.

Again, the 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle is a mesmerizing baseball card. I love how it looks. A perfect card. The demand will very likely always be more than the supply.

---Brian Powell