View Single Post
Old 05-23-2022, 03:57 PM
Michael

I agree that using credit cards to buy collectibles is spending money you don't have (although I guess buying anything with credit cards is spending money you don't have).

I think of a cash advance against a consignment as a little different. If I consign what the auction house and I agree to be $6K of cards and they agree to advance me $2K then this is essentially a no interest, collateralized loan which the auction house and I agree will be paid back in full in a few months using the proceeds of the sale. The end result is that I have $2K now and $4k later to spend on whatever I choose to spend it on (as opposed to having $6K later). Either way it is based on the proceeds from actually selling the cards...not based on the cards merely existing somewhere in a vault.

I think (maybe?) this is different from money borrowed against cards someone is holding for me but which I have not agreed to sell. That is more like a home equity loan, where you borrow money against the value of your house but are not actually selling your house. In that case, I do think of it as a credit card scenario and in a sense as "money you don't have").

I could be wrong, just my take on it.
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.

Last edited by molenick; 05-23-2022 at 04:01 PM.