View Single Post
Old 12-23-2019, 11:50 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat61 View Post
This was first discovered over a year ago and had morphed from Tobacco cards like T206 to 1930's and 40's gum cards. I suspect there's a percentage of collectors, dealers and auction houses who want this to go away.

To be honest, this cost a lot of money and integrity not to be solved so I'm surprised that people are as nonchalant about it. There are cards still out there so someone is still going to get dinged for a lot of money and lets not forget, forgery is still a major crime even if its a sports card. Someone knows more about this, like the FBI...or the grading companies...
Regarding your last sentence... I'm not sure if the FBI got involved with that debacle. It all went away so fast that we never learned what became of the criminals involved. The fact that SGC shut down its autograph division shortly thereafter raises more questions than it provides answers...

Did FBI involvement force the shutdown? Did SGC come to the realization that it was not a battle worth fighting? Did they believe they could cut their financial losses and liabilities by walking away? Did they lose all of their competent graders, and were unable to find apt replacements? Perhaps it's a combination of "all of the above".

With regard to the grading companies, anything they know will be kept a secret. You can bank on it. They have never been forthcoming, nor have they done one single thing to combat, expose or publicize the fraud in this business. The only thing they're good at is keeping silent, turning profits, and perpetuating the mess we are now in.

Last edited by perezfan; 12-23-2019 at 11:58 AM.