View Single Post
Old 08-29-2012, 07:40 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
When I made that statement, I knew it would offend some of the self righteous hypocrites on the board. Obviously it did. At least I have the balls to speak the truth, whether you agree with what I said or not.

I don’t see any difference between dodging jury duty or the other folks in that thread speaking of ways to dodge it or asking advice on how to dodge it. Why didn’t you address those folks? Because your comment wasn’t really about jury duty, was it? It was really a way to divert the attention from the real issue here - Probstein allowing his bidders to shill their own auctions.

The smart ones will see that and stick to the issue, the dumb ones will make additional comments about jury duty.
I didn't participate in the other thread so I'll reply to those accusations here. As I said, I didn't participate in the other thread. Mostly because my advice would be to stay.
I've been called 3 times, and served all 3. Mass has a one day one trial system. Twice I never got to the courtroom, third time I was dismissed almost immediately. (Date rape trial, I was 35 and single. The prosecutor sent me home. If he'd only known my attitude towards some things. )

I don't shill bid.

So no hypocrisy here.

I didn't address other folks, because most of them were mentioning legitimate reasons for not serving. That's part of the system, and someone can be excused before serving if the court finds the reason acceptable.

I did make my comment because you chose to push your hypocrisy by reviving a thread that had pretty much faded to an end. Yes, you have the balls to speak the truth as you see it. Which is fine but annoying as heck if it's just restating the same stuff over again.

And, some on topic questions.

Do you sell on Ebay?
Do you run thousands of auctions every month?
If yes do you check the ID of every bidder on every auction to make sure it's not the consigner?
Do you check the relationships of every bidder to make sure they aren't the consigners friends/relatives?
If so, how do you find the time? Probstein has over 21,000 current items and just over 3000 auctions. If checking took only one minute each that would be more than 48 hours of work

He's already said he blocked the consigner. I'm not sure just what you expect him to do? Block all consigners who are probably also customers? Ebay won't let you block buyers from one auction but not another.

Realistically, all someone can do with that sort of volume is block them if they're caught.

I do think there's something with the consignor and PSA that should be looked into. If I was in charge of PSA I would. But It would also be kept as an internal matter unless I found a big problem.

Steve Birmingham