Thread: T206 Qs
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2023, 08:24 AM
Steve Birmingham

Some answers added in red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Eisenbath View Post
3 questions that likely have been discussed elsewhere but I don't know how to search...

If one were able to assemble a collection of every card in the set, with every error and back variation, how many cards would there be?
Going with cataloged errors and variations, yes 5000-5500, some still aren't known but those are pretty close numbers.
If you get crazy and figure that each position on the sheet is different enough to identify.... make that X 8-10 at least. Which brings us directly to the next question...

What are the 10 rarest (not most valuable or desirable, but rather RAREST based on available pop numbers and educated knowledge)?

I don't have the numbers or list in front of me, but if you count back/front combinations, there are more than 10 less common than the Wagner... One group is pretty well known, another isn't. Many of the tough backs if not all have very few known copies of any given card.

If I were to pursue a collection of truly common cards from the set (with most common backs), what would be the reasonable goal? (I'm looking for a ballpark number, not detailed list.)

Depending on budget, a short set just looking at fronts is what most people go for. So 520, the 524 less The very tough Doyle, Wagner, Plank, and Magie.
On a less substantial budget and just going for commons, a set is easy enough with some effort. I don't know the number.
I've collected slowly and with a variable level of focus for a long time and I'm at around half the set, some better backs since they were mostly ignored years ago, and a few Hof ers.

There are lots of ways to collect them, team sets, just backs, the southern leaguers, the minor leaguers, portraits, the 6 horizontals, pretty much any way you can think of.
What would you enjoy the most?

Thank you!
Mike

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk