View Single Post
Old 01-23-2023, 12:35 AM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
I would respectfully disagree with your premise. I consider myself a diehard collector (being mindful of the investment side), but I’ve only ever focused on HOFers. I just wanted to collect the guys I could read books about. I don’t believe you have to be a set builder to be considered a hard core collector. The investment only guys are certainly driving that discrepancy in prices, no doubt, but probably not exclusively.
My wording may have been a little muddy. The point I was trying to make is that when a Babe Ruth card goes from being worth 2 Ted Willams cards to 5 Ted Williams cards, (or from 50 commom cards to 120 common cards) there is something going on in the market, and it is not being driven by hard-core collectors, whether you are a set builder or a HOF collector.

As Ryan pointed out, a lot of HOF cards have gone up 4x or 5x in the last 10 years.

Commons that I used to pay $1 each for are now $5, so those have gone up 5x too. I bet Ryan can confirm that common T206 cards have increased by about the same.

But Ruth's mid-grade 33G cards have gone up 20x since 2013, while Williams' 39PB has increased only 6x. Why is that?

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk