Thread: 1960 Fleer Set
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2024, 11:10 AM

While I don't have it in hand like you do, I did access clearer pics from the auction listing. Again, just based on the photos, I'll stick with flat-tip calligraphy fountain pen.

Sharpies were introduced in 1964. Yes, there were some sort of felt tips that pre-dated the Sharpie, but you practically never see anything signed with them. I know I've seen a couple, but that's literally it. Can't even recall who signed, but want to say they were Hollywood autographs. I assuredly would have retained scans, though, due to those pieces being a very interesting piece of this puzzle we all love.

We are getting a bit off course here, but there has been a lot of collector discussion as to when the blue Sharpie was introduced (or any non-black). There were various coloured felt tip markers going back to the early 60's. I've seen a Branch Rickey (D. 1965) in blue felt tip. If it wasn't actual Sharpie brand, it mirrored the results. I was knocked off my feel when I saw it, just because it's one of those things you didn't expect to exist, yet there it was.