View Single Post
Old 02-03-2020, 10:22 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

From experience with other vintage issues, I didn't think the font type on the originally posted card was an absolute tell. Not saying it was ever taken or spoken that way, but that was my thought from initially seeing it. Fun stuff for vintage card nerds
BTW, One of the first of the different fonts, from, the same series, I looked into were some varieties of e94 overprints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMPEP View Post
Hi Brian,

The E120 American Caramels have a very similar appearance to the nonsports E123 American Caramels movie star set. The E123s are also believed to have 2 types - ones with an American caramel back and one than is blank backed.

Personally, I think the information on the E123s is incorrect. I once acquired a large lot of E123s with the American Caramel back - and why it might be relevant here - a large number of these cards had the fronts and backs separate. There was one card with a ripped corner that had separated so it is obvious to me that this had once been an unseparated card.

Oh, and I should mention, you wouldn't believe how cleanly these cards separated. Both the front and backs were so clean that I would have thought these cards were made separately - instead of obviously splitting apart.

Based on this lot - I am convinced that there were not 2 types of the E123s - just one type that splits cleanly over time.

I have NO IDEA if the E120s are similar, but I thought you might wish to know this.

Cheers,
Patrick