View Single Post
Old 03-12-2022, 12:54 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touch'EmAll View Post
It is indeed hard out there, life sure has speedbumps.

Think about setting yourself up with work and a location to do more of what you like to do.

Just before I got into my career, I went thru a big book called "Places Rated". It went thru all the major/semi-major metro areas of the country and rated them all on many categories - schools, medical care, recreation, weather, home prices, crime, population density, etc.

For me it came down to Seattle, Portland OR, and Boise. I chose Portland - very glad I made decision. I love fishing and Oregon is quite good - trout salmon, steelhead, bass. The Deschutes River is world class and just over Mt. Hood couple hours away. The Oregon coast is also only 2 hours away, very nice.

Anyways, be smart and calculated about your life decisions, will definitely pay good dividends for the rest of your life.
It's a tricky situation. I have older parents, who are likely to leave the state as well. They're very tired of dealing with the cold that comes with the winter months in NY. I've spoken to them about moving somewhere down south, potentially South Carolina or Florida, they seem more interested in the latter, which is fine by me.

The work situation, well I'm a teacher. Fortunately I've been smart with my money, and the paycut wouldn't matter too much, because I'd be able to afford a decent home. It's the benefits that come with the profession in NY that are hard to give up. Great health insurance and a very nice pension plan, a TDA as well.

I could fall back into my old career, as I worked in Finance for a bit before I made the switch to teaching, but to be honest, I absolutely hated that profession. So Who knows?

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.