Thread: Obvious Scam
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2024, 07:38 AM
Steve Birmingham

Agreed that it's a scam, but I will add this.

On my bicycle list I posted about needing a small length of a special chain. I got a reply along the lines of "I know a guy on the list, what exactly do you need. " Sent details and a scan of the one I have that I needed a few extra links for.
The guy who actually had it is a member of the USCyclingHOF, older and raced in the 50's and 60s as a pro. He was basically having another member screen some stuff to avoid nuisances. Once I passed the "audition" he contacted me directly, and was very helpful. I would have been happy with any brand, but he sent the exact number of needed links of the exact chain, right brand, right log, perfect. ANd gave me a lot of good advice about other aspects of the bike I was fixing. (special one, and he did that sort of racing and learned from people who were around when my 1920s-30's bike was new. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
I post this in our collective, ongoing effort to root out scammers and help each other avoid getting scammed.

I started a post on the the auto part of the BST stating I wanted to buy signed, slabbed Yogi Berra cards. I did not leave an email address bc I know there are scammers and they do not need my email address. Below is a screenshot of a private message I got. Clearly a scam. First, who the hell calls someone buddy (especially if they never met). Second, the grammar is terrible. Third, it’s odd that someone I dont know would contact me for another “member”. Fourth, they say their friend has “it” when I posted wanting multiple/plural - signed cardS. Fifth, the whole thing just smelled like fish.

So I looked up the username - joined today, no posts.

Clearly a scam. Way too many red flags. If it walks and quacks like a duck, it’s likely a scammer.

Be vigilant and don’t be a sucker

Maybe post other examples of attempted scams so people can spot them quickly and easily