View Single Post
Old 08-07-2019, 07:42 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Scott, I think it's an interesting thought but see the problems others have mentioned. As to the doctors, they would just submit more clean cards with their altered cards, to keep their altered ratio sufficiently low. It would cut into their profit margin, but it might also increase the chance of them slipping their altered cards through.

Here's the solution you seek: Team up with a few other high-integrity people in the hobby, get with some tech people who can perfect a system using black light, infrared light, X-ray, etc. that can reveal modern substance on old cards, differences in materials (coloring,) differences in density (built-up corners,) perhaps a micrometer to test for thickness uniformity, and so on.

Then start a business that can perform these tests and perhaps others, and offer this service to collectors for about the same fees the current TPG charge. But, here's the big difference - you don't offer any opinion on grade. Just pure authenticity.

When I get my oil changed, I am given a checklist describing exactly what was done. They don't say, "Your car is problem-free," which could cause them issues later, if they missed anything. They instead tell me that the oil and filter were changed, certain specific fluids topped off, tire air pressure, etc.

So, this new authentication company does the same. Describe what tests are being done, give the digital results of those tests, retain detailed scans of every card that is evaluated for future reference (like, if it comes back in someday, altered,) and leave it at that. No opinion, no grade given, and therefore no conflict of interest, no potential favorable treatment, etc.

Have a couple cards handy that have been altered, and at the start of each day, run those cards through the process to verify the machines are giving the same readings they gave yesterday (to be sure the machines are working properly.)

While testing the capability of the technology available, look into whether or not a "quick review" process could be applied to cards already slabbed. It would not be able to test card thickness, and would thus be more limited, but it might still be possible to spot other things without having to crack the cards out. I do not know what is/isn't possible.

Scott, come up with a business plan like that, choose your partners well, form an LLC, and I'll bet a lot of people here would be interesting in investing; I know I would.

Current TPG companies are not the solution. A new, objective, transparent company/process is what is needed, to identify past and future altered cards. Leaving the whole grading aspect out of it would eliminate a ton of problems.