View Single Post
Old 05-11-2017, 04:23 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default 4th set......SOVEREIGN only story

* * * * * * * * * * * * T206 Reflections, Theory's, Surveys, etc. * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I will borrow the last lines from the 1974 movie "The Sting"......when Paul Newman asks Robert Redford (after they pulled off their elaborate "Sting" on Robert Shaw)..........
"Was that as good as it gets ?"
Redford replies..... "It's not enough" .....then smiles, and says ....."but it's damn close".

That scene reflects my feelings regarding my completion of the T206 PIEDMONT set. So, I was motivated to put together the SOVEREIGN set. This adventure was significant,
as it resulted in providing us a greater understanding of American Lithographic's printing of the T206 cards. Why did I choose the SOVEREIGN cards ?
I always favored the GREEN colored T206 backs (also I've collected AMERICAN BEAUTY sub-sets). So, I figured a SOVEREIGN set would be relatively easy to complete, since
Lundgren, Magie, Plank, Wagner, Joe Doyle Nat'l, the 48 subjects in the Southern League series, and Demmitt & O'Hara (St Louis) were NOT printed with SOVEREIGN backs.

Well, I was very mistaken. This was quite a challenge in itself. Specifically because I had to determine which T206 cards were not printed with SOVEREIGN backs (No-Prints).
However, I am very happy to say that my list of No-Prints have withstood the test of time. It took me approx. 11 months to complete this set of 402 different subjects. Refer
to this thread...... Mission Accomplished....SOVEREIGN only set

Besides the 55 subjects mentioned above, the following T206 subjects are SOVEREIGN no-prints......

Abstein
Adkins
Arrellanes
Barbeau
Barger
Becker
Bliss
Brashear
Bresnahan (bat)
Burchell
Charles
Clark
Clymer
Collins (Minn.)
Cross
Davidson
Delehanty (Louisville)
Demmitt (New York American)
Dessau
Dorner

Downey (fielding)
Elberfeld (portrait-Washington)
Engle
Evans
Fletcher
Freeman
Ganzel
Graham (St Louis AL)
Gray
Groom
Hayden
Hoffman (St Louis AL)
Hunter
Jones (portrait Detroit)
Kleinow (Boston)
La Porte
Lattimore
Lord
Lundgren (Kansas City)
Maddox

Maloney
Marshall
Mattern
McAleese
McBride
McElveen
McLean
Milan
Miller (Pittsburg)
Mullen (portrait)
Murray (bat)
Myers (bat)
Nattress
Phillippe
Puttman
Rhodes
Ritter
Rudolph
Schirm
Schlafly

Schreck
Shannon
Sharpe
Frank Smith (Chicago & Boston)
Snodgrass (bat)
Starr
Willett

This SOVEREIGN set has proven to be a very timely and significant project in that it revealed to us the following important insights
into American Lithographic's printing of the various series in their T206 production. Refer to Posts #2 & 4 here for the details.

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 10-03-2020 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Corrected typo.