View Single Post
Old 10-21-2022, 10:37 AM
Jim M.arinari

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
My thread title may be misinterpreted. I’m not trying to relate exit velocity to the distance of a home run. If I was omitting the launch angle, bat speed and pitch type would be factors.

The calculated (not measured) distance of a home run is generally irrelevant to me. If the ball literally goes out of park (San Francisco Bay for example), the number is likely inaccurate. If the ball lands in the first row above a 382 ft sign on the wall, the accuracy is enhanced. Does the average fan give a hoot if a home run is 385 ft or 402 ft. I think not.

These so-called advanced stats are also tracked, so that if Ohtani hits a home run that exceeds his previous highest exit velocity of the season, the commentators are sure to let us know, almost immediately.

I’ve always been a number’s guy. The stats are what attracted me to the game as a kid. However the BABIP, RISP, FIP, etc are not my cup of tea. I guess I’m just too old to appreciate games with 20+ strikeouts and an occasional home run with batting averages below .250. Somebody agrees with me because making the shift illegal next year should increase the BABIP.
The calculated *can* be more accurate, but it depends on the method. I have seen balls hit 20 ft up the batters eye, still not on the downward arc, be called 420ft. My common sense theory in that case is, being that the fence itself is 408, that the ball would definitely have travelled more than 12 freaking feet before landing.

Another thing: I think stolen bases and pickoffs are going to skyrocket with the new throw-over rules.

Last edited by Deertick; 10-21-2022 at 10:41 AM.