View Single Post
Old 09-28-2021, 08:09 AM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post
"I haven't had the chance to see many of the great stars of the other league, but picking the greatest player that ever lived is easy, I think. I pick Ty Cobb. I guess every one will do the same. Cobb was a good fielder, the greatest baserunner in the game's history, the fastest thinker and the most consistent hitter. How can you name any one else? Eddie Collins, the keystone of my great infield of the old Athletics, is my second choice. Eddie was a marvelous ball player. I can't say too much for him. I'll name Lajoie third. Of the present-day players I pick Al Simmons first, and he is my fourth man of all time. I hate to leave off Mickey Cochrane, but I must name Babe Ruth, so he goes fifth.
-Connie Mack
All of the other testimonials and evidence aside, this made me chuckle. Admittedly we have the lens of history between us and that moment in time, but to claim that Al Simmons was a greater player than Ruth and to struggle with placing Ruth above Mickey Cochrane suggests and odd perspective. Connie Mack had a truly amazing career, but I can't help wondering if the constant struggle (financially and in the standings) compared to Ruth's larger than life success didn't result in a few sour grapes....