View Single Post
Old 10-28-2020, 08:52 PM
James M.

It's defintely upsetting. I got back into the Hobby last summer, couldn't really make any major purchases though because I was between jobs. New Job comes around, I start being able to buy things, and prices start surging. I'd settle for January of 2020 prices for some of the pieces I want.

And it 100% hurts the section of the hobby, that treats it as just the hobby, and not a card flipping extravaganza. Or as if it was commodity trading. The worst part about this, is while I think the bubble will burst to an extent, the Big Names will probably retain their value for the most part

1933 Goudey Ruth #53, in a PSA 3, had 8 consecutive sales typically in the 4K range, from 2017-2018. That Same Card sold for $7800 in this August, and then 9K in a recent PWCC auction. It's insanity. 1952 Topps Mantle #311, in a PSA 1 spent a good chunk of 2018 in the 9-10K Range. A lot of Money, for sure, but not completely unrealistic, assuming you can afford to save a bit of money and work a good paying Job. The past 4 auctions one was involved in went as follows 14,6000, 16,800, 21,600 and 28,000. What is actually going on?

It's disheartening. I think it comes down eventually, but even if it levels off, I don't think we see pre-covid prices, at least for a long time.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.