Thread: PSA OR SGC?????
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2003, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Default PSA OR SGC?????

Posted By: Todd (nolemmings)

I have dealt with Marty personally on a few occasions, and believe him to be very personable and fair. While I understand the comments about his website, I recall that more than half of his "stuff" was ungraded, perhaps because he carries odd ball stuff that isn't always conducive to slabbing-- one of the reasons I visit his tables. I also remember speaking to him at length over three Tango Eggs Beschers that were graded, and he did not present as pro-PSA in any way that I noticed (as an SGC fan, I usually remember any PSA puffing).

I'm not sure I follow all of the criticism he's taken in this thread, although I do see some hypocrisy given a few of his PSA cards scanned and posted here. Still,
I do believe that old-label SGC cards were graded a little more generously than new; if SGC fans acknowledge this, then Marty is merely mistaken in suggesting otherwise, if they do not acknowledge it, then I agree with him.
Next, I find the Derek Grady excuse rather lame. It may be that he is the toughest/fairest/insert your compliment here grader in the land, but that does not excuse inconsistency from other graders if in fact it exists. In my view, SGC cannot overtake PSA or even sustain its current market share if the demands on Mr. Grady's time increase a whole lot. Therefore, they need to channel his expertise to others in their company. Of course, the more graders, the greater chance for inconsistency, so I suppose it's a bit of a catch-22. Still, to forego criticism of SGC because "Derek didn't grade it" doesn't impress much.

Finally, I would like to point out what may be an unnoticed problem with PSA that chaps my arse. Apparently, PSA will grade without a qualifier if specifically requested to do so. While the card presumably may "slab" one full grade or more lower, it still irks me that someone buying one of their cards sight unseen (remember, that's one of the so-called selling points of a PSA card)could be sorely disappointed if they fail to ask for centering, staining, etc.
regards...................Todd