View Single Post
Old 06-28-2020, 12:14 AM
Michael Fried

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon512 View Post
Maybe I missed it in the novella, but it is unclear to me how you are distinguishing "Sport Star Subjects" from "Bond Bread." Please explain it clearly so a layman could make the distinction if analyzing the two different sets, or maybe someone else can if there is validity to it. If there is not a clear distinction in appearance than the presumption you are making below is just based on how packaging differences are likely to impact the condition of the cards, rather than other objective data.

"Most cards with white-backs and rounded corners attributed as 'Bond Bread' cards in a grade of 'Ex' or better apparently come from the 'Sport Star Subjects' set, not Bond Bread packages."
The 1947 Homogenized Bond Bread inserts and Cards and Photos with like and similar pictures.

Distinguishing the Bond Bread package inserts from “Sport Star Subjects” cards

An easy method exists for telling apart many of the Bond Bread package insert cards from cards in the “Sport Star Subjects” set, but it does not work for distinguishing all cards from these two sets.

People who actually obtained Bond Bread cards from bread packages, and those who purchased such cards directly from them, have said the backs are white and without any bread stains. That tells only half the story. While there are few bread stains on any of the Bond Bread package inserts, all were affected by being next to the bread. My original bond bread cards and those I have seen, as well as the scans of all of cards for which there is direct evidence that they were actually obtained from Bond Bread packages, show a less bright white back than the 'Sport Star Subjects” cards in better grades. I cannot say what is the impact on the brightness of the backs of “Sport Star Subjects' cards that have worn down to a lower grade.

All cards could be told apart between the two sets by comparing pictures that clearly show the details of the die cuts used in the "Sport Star Subjects" set against pictures that clearly show the details of some of the die cuts from the original Bond Bread insert set. That would identify any individual die cut flaws specific to the "Sport Star Subjects" not appearing on the die cuts used to print the Bond Bread set. To do so is more than a one person job and would require the help of others reading this thread.

Copyright 2020, by Michael Fried, P.O. Box 27521, Oakland, California 94602-0521