View Single Post
Old 05-23-2023, 03:27 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
Same as any young collector I talk to -

1. Don't get in over your head.

2. Buy cheap ungraded older collector cards so you learn the feel, look and general knowledge of what you are collecting prior to real spending. I have met so many people that get in and get victimized fast.

3. Knowledge is power, learn everything you can. Add a Standard Catalog to the back of your toilet for many years so you can peruse in your business time, lol.

4. Absolutely nothing is guaranteed, only new collectors think nothing can ever go down. It can, and hard. Perhaps the 40+ year collector guys like me have had a decent majority go up, but so does the value of a dollar in comparison. If you are in for the short haul, honestly stay the hell out for now. Buying at a peak lost at lot of people a fortune in the last year. If you are in for life, buy what you love and enjoy. If you hold it for a decade or more, you will probably make more than your interest on a bank account.
To expand on the part I made bold. The majority of people in the hobby WILL try to take advantage of you. It is why many get into or come back to the hobby only to get right back out of it. It is a small pond hobby full of big aggressive fish.