View Single Post
Old 08-04-2011, 07:59 PM
Steve Birmingham

I actually like some of the newer sets. Allen and Ginter, and the Gypsy queen from this year. The cardboard isn't shiny, but is more like a T206. I think inserts are here to stay, and that's not so bad. We had them in the 60's and 70's, so it's not really anything new. Some memorabilia cards I could do without, but for current players I don't mind at all. All they have to do is have the player wear a Jersey for one game. Older stuff I'd like to see them give away the complete item, even if it's in rough shape.

The old cardboard while nostalgic is pretty bad, the acids in it will wreck most cards from the 70's and 80's eventually.

Short prints have always been with us as well. Any of the sets with redemptions -George C Millers, US caramels, And most multi series cards had high # series Goudey in 33, 34, ... Or just plain short prints like in 41 Goudey.

We're down to one licensed company for baseball. Multiple brands, but still only one license. From what the local card shop says business has been excellent. Less confusion about what's been issued, and customers are still buying, some buying more. We'll see how long that lasts.....

Anyone remember the pre 1981 days when a Topps set that didn't match what we liked or didn't have a particular player would make us wonder why nobody else could make cards? And how exciting it was when there was a regional set in your area. For me, Chilly Willie discs and Papa Ginos discs.

Steve B