View Single Post
Old 02-26-2007, 08:01 AM
Administrator

Default ramblin on / insurance/ card values

Posted By: leon

When you said:

"As far as a safe goes, it doesn't stop three very significant things: home invasion robberies, sophisticated burglaries, and natural or manmade disasters. I would hate to lose my cards to a fire, for example; a fire-proof safe is of only limited utility in stopping fire damage and doesn't do much for water or smoke. Putting the stuff you like the most into a safe deposit box (or several of them) and leaving the rest at home ensures that if your house burns down, at least some of your favorite cards don't go with it. And you can enjoy the images of the cards you keep on your PC."

I totally agree with you. I have a 1200 lb safe in my house with a monitored alarm. For the last 5 years (since we moved in) I have always worried about seeing smoke coming up at the end of our street where our house is. Worse yet someone could think I have stuff at home and rob us and take everything. SO about 3 months ago, for $100 a year, I got a huge safety desposit box and put all cards valued at over $200, or so, in it. I saw the bank being built, where I keep them, and there was no wood used. It's all steel internally. The bank is just a few minutes away and I visit my cards fairly often. I feel much safer with them there...as relatively speaking to my net worth, I have more value in them than I should.....best regards