Thread: HOF Results
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2021, 08:12 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scocs View Post
This is so true: just make separate categories for “ambassadors” (O’Neil, Fowler) and “executives” (Pompez, Manley) so that more actual HOF-caliber Negro League baseball players can get inducted such as Redding, Johnson, Scales, Marcelle, Lundy, Oms, and the like…
I'm right there with you. The Early Baseball ballot is hard to fathom. Redding getting under 3 votes when many experts believe him the best player not in the Hall (and one that we have pretty extensive stats for at this point, and greatly expanded stats since 2006 when he was last considered) is hard to fathom. (I've mentioned elsewhere that I can't fathom voting for Donaldson over Redding, but that is neither here nor there.)

I'm thrilled that Minoso got in, and find with O'Neil getting in, although I hate that the vote was a competition, as the voters could not vote for all the candidates they thought were eligible.

Similarly, I don't understand how you could justify keeping Dick Allen out.

Happy for those who made it in. I don't think any bring down the stature of the Hall (although there are a couple of entries that I'd have been ok with going either way. Glad that Hodges finally gets in, but I'm sentimental for the 1955 Dodgers, and his roll with the 1969 Mets, so not sure if that's all that's driving my feeling on that.