View Single Post
Old 10-14-2021, 11:29 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I don't think writing is a motor skill issue. It's muscle memory and repetition. I gave the example before of trying to write with your weak hand. My motor skills are highly developed over the course of my life. I still can't write with my weak hand because I don't have the muscle memory or repetition to do it.
I can write with either, but only rarely write with my weak hand.
Writing is considered part of fine motor skills*. Writing well is muscle memory and repetition.
But both grandfathers were tool and die makers, and I know for sure one was ambidextrous.
For a brief time, maybe a week I was trying to train myself to do some of Davincis tricks - mirror writing, writing something with the left hand of the page left handed and the right side right handed, writing two different things at the same time.... Totally impossible except for the mirror writing.

*It's sort of a part of one of the childhood developmental "tests" the doctors give. They have the kid copy a plus sign and circle. It tests fine motor, visual perception and eye/hand coordination all at once. Anything close to a + is a pass, as is any closed figure, even if it's not all that round.

Last edited by steve B; 10-14-2021 at 11:30 AM. Reason: fixed wrong word