View Single Post
Old 01-02-2022, 02:10 PM

Guys, I think its clear in my opening post, but to restate/clarify: I did NOT assemble this set. Instead, I acquired it from a single collector, who had assembled some of it. The bulk of the set comes from a legacy portfolio that initially came from a scrap book. The person I bought it from added to that legacy portfolio to create the the collection I posted.

I do not plan on upgrading the set, aside from the occasional HOFer or if I find a better version of a real beater. That said, I already own better quality examples of Young, Plank, Keeler, Waddell and Lajoie Type II and I will be substituting these better examples for the ones in the current set.

As a member pointed out to me, the set you see has 5 "extras", including Plank. I do not know why these extras remain but I believe they are undergrades to their better counterparts. I have no direct access to the immediate seller/former owner, so I cannot ask.

The person from whom I acquired the set is a long-time, and very accomplished and knowledgeable collector. It is my understanding that he believes this set is complete, except the Seybold Type II, which I understand he has never seen and does not know to exist, although (as Kevin mentioned) he believes it could/does exist. I have spoken with numerous people who have much more knowledge about the set than I, and none of them have ever seen a Seybold Type II; yet the general consensus is one likely exits because it keeps ending up in various checklists. ALSO, SGC shows a Whitey Alperman on its pop report, but nobody I have spoken with believes that exists, especially considering that Whitey's first season was in 1906.

I am hardly the godfather of E107. In fact, I know relatively little about the set other than what I shared. There are many here who know a ton more than me in their little finger! I love that this set has so many rookies, that the T206 portraits derived here, that the cards are so damn rare, and that it is the only set spanning 1986-1908. I also love that it is the only known "complete set" out there. Its a super important set and I could not pass on the chance to own it AND to ensure (at least for now) that it stays intact and is not broken up card by card.