View Single Post
Old 11-08-2022, 06:44 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
One of the more amusing wastes of time is watching a vintage set break. Usually, the sellers will put 4-5 cards in each packet. The good ones will put at least one non-common in the package, but it might be a really minimal non-common, like Elston Howard. The way those guys have to summon enthusiasm when they open a packet at the request of a bidder who just got Ray Monzant, Cuno Barragan, Wayne Terwilliger, and an o/c checklist---priceless. But I guess they can't just say "sorry, bud, I guess you just wasted fifty bucks on that one."
In that case, I'm surprised they waste the time to go through and open faux packs like that. Watching breaks and someone just opening pack after pack online, while trying to make it sound like every 5th or 6th card they pull out is to die for, is a joke. The feigned excitement wears off, for me at least, pretty darn quick. If it were me running a vintage "break", I'd sell all the spots equal to the number of cards in the set, and then for the online "break" show, simply show everybody's spots being run through a randomizing program to see who gets what cards from the set. You can spend a little time calling out and naming some of the participants who won the big star/$ cards in the break. Then just post the list showing who won the balance, and then quickly move on to the next break. Time is money, right?

I've helped out some friends who actually are one of the fairly well-known Breakers, and it can get boring real fast! But all the Breakers are basically selling the exact thing as new product releases come out over the course of the year. So they try to differentiate themselves very often with feigned excitement, hype, and whatever other tricks or gimmicks they can come up with to entertain their followers, and keep them coming back for more.