View Single Post
Old 01-27-2008, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Default My conversation with Lionel Carter

Posted By: T206Collector

I was surprised and elated to find a letter from Lionel Carter in my mailbox last night. I have scanned it in its entirety and put it on the Checking In With Lionel Carter Page of my website, in the Interviews & Articles link. Among other things, Mr. Carter explains that he got his (now my) Eddie Plank in a Charles Bray auction on May 10, 1957 -- $5.00 for a box of cigarette cards, which included the Plank. This amends his story that he told by telephone that he acquired it in 1935, but given the level of detail it is pretty clear Mr. Carter did his research. I am amazed that he has such detailed records of its acquisition. And I wonder whether he has similar records for all of his cards, most of which now reside in Lionel Carter branded slips in SGC holders.

Mr. Carter sealed his letter with an old stamp of what appears to be his head superimposed on a drawing of a baseball player. Mr. Carter certainly has a grand sense of humor!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Visit http://www.t206collector.com for my blog, interviews, articles, card galleries and more!