View Single Post
Old 07-13-2021, 10:09 PM
Brian May
Bri.an M@y

Popped my grading company cherry today.

Been collecting since a kid in the late 80s like most folks here, but never have made a submission to a grading company.

Been following along on these SGC threads, and figured I'd give them a shot.

Had several prewar & 50s cards in my collection where I want to see if they are altered vs "1-1.5-2" range, and a few other that could go anywhere from a 3-4-5-6. I'm hoping good thoughts.

Very impressed with the SCG on-line platform. Entering the cards, service requests & payment were very straightforward. I am surprised they do not have a place to enter your USPS / FedEx tracking number - that worries me a little bit.

My curiosity has been killing me for where these cards stand. For my first run, I settled on eight cards.

PS - If anyone is curious they are:

1) 1950 Bowman Jackie Robinson - bought from a large ungraded lot, strong eye appeal, strong corners & centering. Could be A-1-1.5-2. Great eye appeal but a hard corner crease + small stain. Very curious.

2) 1933 Goudey Paul Waner - I won two years ago in an auction as an ungraded single card. Fantastic eye appeal. Straight borders, great centering, sharp corners, the card measures. If it is not altered, it should score in the 4-5-6 range. The card "pops".

3) 1956 Topps Ted Williams - another card bought from a large ungraded auction lot that looks a legit EX w/ near perfect centering.

4) 1951 Bowman (football) Sammy Baugh - The card appears to be in 7-7.5-8 range. It's fantastic. Corners that can cut glass, but the card measures correctly.

and four different T206s:

5) A beater Speaker that looks like it was in the infantry during WWI & WWII - I just want to confirm it is authentic.
6) An OMSL Ryan. Another gem I won in an large ungraded auction lot.
7) & 8) Two scarce back T206s, again could be anywhere from 1.5 to 4.

My first grading submission, and I must admit that I'm pretty excited.
Trying to keep my expectations grounded.