View Single Post
Old 08-01-2020, 07:35 AM
Alan Strout

Default 1976 Hostess Orioles cards

I really enjoy the Hostess cards from 1975-1979.

Orioles team sets are not that hard to complete, whether you collect the individual cards or prefer the 3 card panels. However, if you enjoy variations and a bit of a challenge, the 1976 Hostess set is for you.

Most of the Orioles in the 1976 set can be found with cropping differences and/or different color backs.

Here are examples of Jim Palmer (3 buttons or 2 buttons showing on his uniform) and Mike Torrez (common black printing on back and tougher brown back)

1976 Hostess #1 - Copy.JPG 1976 Hostess Panels #2 - Copy.JPG SCAN8924.JPG

Brooks Robinson was one of the panels that was supposedly printed with only the black back. However, I found a Brooks Robinson with a brown back. I think it might be a proof. Notice the print markings between the cards.

1976 Hostess Panels #1.jpg SCAN8923B.jpg

Some of the cropping differences are fairly easy to spot on the Orioles, while others are very slight, but easier to see when panels are compared.

Don Baylor cropping difference in lower right

1976 Hostess Panels #4 - Copy.jpg

Gene Tenace and Bobby Murcer, compared to Mike Cuellar (creases in uniform compared to printed name)

SCAN8925.jpg

If that's not enough, Hostess also printed some of the cards on their individual Twinkie packages. These usually have product stains and are thicker than the box cards. The Orioles included Bobby Grich, Jim Palmer and Brooks Robinson

SCAN8922A.jpg SCAN8922B.JPG