View Single Post
Old 06-27-2015, 03:39 PM

Hi Jeff,
Sorry, no pictures of either the Tris Speaker or the Stan Musial 3,000th hit to show you. I did own a beautiful Musial 3,000th stub as well, but these have been gone for many years.

The collector that I sold the Tris Speaker ticket did sell it to another collector that has what I believe to be the best 3,000th hit registry.

As a response to your comment about the scarcity of earlier 3,000th hit tickets, I would like to pass along some interesting info that I have learned along the way and you might find interesting:

3,000 hits and 3,000 strikeouts were not newsworthy at the time that these events occurred. When I owned the Speaker ticket I recall looking up archived microfilm (it has been a long time LOL) box scores and write up about the game. Not a single newspaper that I looked at commented on the 3,000 hit milestone! At the time it wasn't apparently something that the sports writers of the day even talked about. The fact that Speaker was only the 2nd batsman to accomplish it at the time in the modern era (Cobb being the other), you would think it would be worth mentioning, but no!

Along the same lines, Walter Johnson reached 3,000 K's and I'm not sure that he received much press on this as well at the time.
Perhaps this is why tickets were not saved; these milestones were not celebrated...

Also consider that a perfect game was not called a "perfect game" until CWS hurler Charlie Robertson hurled his in 1922 against Ty Cobb's Detroit Tigers. In the modern era (Post 1900), two pitchers had already hurled what we call a perfect game today: Cy Young and Addie Joss, not to mention the pitchers that accomplished it at the 50' mound distance, not the current 60' 6" standard.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 06-27-2015 at 04:01 PM.