View Single Post
Old 12-10-2022, 11:41 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_G. View Post
I wanted to bump this thread as last week I shared a chronological sequence for Lone Jack cigarette pack variants that may be in error . . . I’ve uncovered new evidence that suggests a revision is warranted, research still in progress, I’ll share findings when complete.

It is also only proper that I share something fitting for this thread. I’d like to introduce a near complete run of Goodwin’s Smoking Heads (catalogued as H235). These were issued by two different lithographers, H. Bencke and Major & Knapp. Both issued 8 different smoking heads measuring a bit larger than a cabinet card; 6 of 8 being near copies of each other (nearly same design). I’m missing the blonde girl from H. Bencke for completion.

While all of these examples advertise “Old Judge” cigarettes, examples have also been found featuring Goodwin’s “Chancellor” brand.

Hi Joe, a little information on H. Bencke and Major and Knapp, I'm sure you know Major & Knapp eventually became American Lithograph. Both company's operated under several different names and also had other partners over many years. H. Bencke was Herman Bencke and he was on his own from 1868-1871 and again from 1877-1888. Major & knapp was under that particular name from 1864-1888.

img239.jpg

img240.jpg