View Single Post
Old 12-03-2022, 10:31 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
For a few reasons

The inks used are not water soluble, so the water won't affect them, while other solvents might.

Water is part of the process of making the paper itself, and while it can affect the paper, it's fine for many cardstocks if done right. (More based on the sizing used to holf the fibers together and what fibers are used.)

So in general, water won't do damage if used carefully. There isn't enough info to tell if a solvent will, so using them is to be discouraged.
Steve people have used a variety of solvents on paper items for centuries there is clearly massive amounts of evidence on how different solvents react with paper and inks paits etc. 3M produced a mountain of research on Toluene and its use in removing tape. ( it is an organic water soluble solution). It is out there if you have a need to read. Paper is often produced with water but there are card stocks that either swell or deteriorate in water. And some that look fine but show effects years later.
My point was there are many glues and papers that over time destory Baseball Cards and Memorabilia. Professionals that use solutions that are more than H2O to preserve and protect cards seem to me a good thing.
When you soak a card and remov it from a scrapbook most would say that is fine. Same card same scrapbook and you smooth out some wrinkles while drying them under presure. Either on purpose or just what happens as part of the process. Is that fine?
For me If I soak a card I will not submit it for grading. And if and when I sell it I tell buyer it was soaked. And I know many other collectors have different views but to me soaking a card is something that should always be disclosed. But a blanket statment that anything other than water to protect and preserve cards is not something I would agree with.
Water has been used to improve the appearance of paper items way more often than other solutions simply because more folks have access to it feel safe using it and have youtube vids on how.