View Single Post
Old 12-03-2022, 09:28 AM
Eric Perry

A couple thoughts:

I like having sub-grades on the flip. It's not a perfect way to convey information; however, it tells me much more than a single grade. If a card is graded a 6, why did it get that grade? If it has a low sub-grade for centering and 9+ for corners/edges/surface, that tells me a whole lot more.

In an alternate reality, imagine centering didn't factor into the final grade at all. Think about it. We can immediately see how well (or poorly) a card is centered. It doesn't matter if we're at a card show with less-than-optimal lighting. It doesn't matter (for the most part) if an eBay photo is a bit blurry, taken at a slight angle, or color-enhanced. If we can read the flip, we can see the centering. Perhaps the grading companies should focus on things we might easily miss while at a show or shopping online.

Nobody enjoys getting a card one day and then later discovering some hard-to-detect flaw. "Damn, I didn't see that when I bought the card" is something nearly all of us have said. It rarely, if ever, applies to the centering.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra