View Single Post
Old 12-01-2022, 09:16 PM
Chris Kim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Let me preface all of this by stating the following:

I know very little about unopened tobacco packs. My observations, questions, and opinions are those of an amateur, as it pertains to this arena.
  • Boxes are three dimensional objects with six sides. The video only showed four of these sides. Why did the video not show all six sides?
  • The outer wrapper seemed unnaturally pliable for 100+ year old ephemera.
  • The inner packaging (box with the Piedmont logo, etc) seems to have significant wear along one of the long edges. This is at 0:25 of the video.
  • The edge with significant wear is also the edge formed where the two sides not shown during the opening of the video meet. This also presents at the 0:56 mark of the video.
  • The inner packaging also appears to have signs of wear and handling. This includes uneven areas of light soiling on the white portions. It also includes a flap which is not seated tightly (or neatly, for that matter) into the box. In short, it has the look of a box that has been handled and opened previously; it does not look like a product which remained untouched since being factory sealed.
  • When the card is first pulled (partially) from the pack, it looks too narrow for an unaltered Piedmont. I base this on pausing the video at the 0:47 mark and comparing the visible white spaces along the two vertical edges.
  • The person whose hands are visible places the card back into the box. Then, they use a razor blade to cut the tax seal/stamp, with the card still inside. If there was a chance the item could be a high-grade HOF T206 card, why would someone place a razor blade that close to it? The card was already partially extracted; the prudent thing to do would be to pull it the rest of the way out before inserting a razor blade into the box.
  • At the 1:08 mark, this video jumps from apparently seamless footage to something different. These last two seconds are likely irrelevant; however, it seemed worthwhile to mention the interrupted, multi-take footage.

Based on the comments above, I'm highly suspicious. I do not believe the "pack" remained unopened continuously for 110+ years, as claimed by the “unopened T206 Piedmont pack" title.

Well said! To me the two giveaways were (1) the tax stamp seem to be too small/narrow (2) the inside contain should be wrapped in foil paper and not plain paper. Also, if you pull a card, why would u push it back inside the pack to risk causing more surface damages? Don't they want a PSA10 t206 out of a pack even if it was just a common player.