View Single Post
Old 11-14-2022, 06:25 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteymet View Post
Chris:

Thanks for your help in trying to ID some of the Mick premiums I showed above.

#5 you say looks 1960's. Not that it means anything but 1956 was written on the bottom right corner by someone sometime. These all came from an old collection. This leads me to think it may actually be from 1956.

Ben W. contacted me privately about info he got from the guy he got his kneeling premium from. This is the info his seller told him:

Regarding the premium photo, I obtained the item in 1958 (when I was 12 years old and had been collecting Mantle cards since I was 10). I wrote Mantle asking for an autographed photo. He responded on July 21, 1958 with an autographed letter enclosing the premium photo. I still have the letter, which I keep in a frame in my den.

So it appears this is either a team or personal Mantle premium mailed out to fans in the late 50's. Since the seller of Ben's said he got his in 1958 it is possible it could have been around for a few years before like 1956 that is on mine.

Wondering the best way to get these into Mantle collectors hands. BST here, ebay or give them to an auction house?
If I recall correctly, I have a very similar one that uses a photo of him kneeling that appears to have been taken at the same session. I think mine was sold to me as a 1960s. When I was discussing yours, I was really just trying to convey that it appears to be a career contemporary piece rather than anything more recent. If it has 1956 on it, I could certainly see that being accurate. Either way, it’s cool and appears to be vintage/original.

As for how to sell them, I’ll defer to others. It’s so hard to price them that my gut would be eBay. But I haven’t bought/sold much in recent years.