View Single Post
Old 03-17-2023, 03:10 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Default What to do - Ebay Authentication Process/Possible Reprint

This issue involves a post-war card, but relevant to any card or ebay purchase.

So the facts...

* Always looking for Mickey Mantle cards like a great percentage of collectors

*Found a raw 1956 Topps Mickey Mantle - Looks like a 2, 2.5ish for $650

*I put it on my Watch List as it's clearly a good deal

*Seller throws an Offer at me - $575

*I looked hard at it...I usually don't like to spend more than $300 on something raw...BUT considering it had the Blue Ribbon Guaranteed Authentication I felt like there was little risk. To be fair, this is the first time I had considered buying a raw card under this new process

*I sent a quick PM to the seller, it looked like it had a pinhole in it? He immediately responds back that it's a print mark.

*I bought it

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325567433425

*Seller immediately sends me a "thank you" and a nice note and ships next day

*Here is the kicker...the CARD WENT DIRECTLY TO ME. It does NOT go to the Authentication process

*The card shows up yesterday, I am a little alarmed it went directly to me?

*Open the package...I'm now suspect if it's real. If it's a reprint, it's a good one. Just doesn't feel right...and don't laugh, it doesn't smell right.

*Seller has a clear "NO RETURNS". I submit for one anyhow...seller immediately send me several messages. First, he did not know why it wasn't sent to the Authenticator, he says he didn't even know really about that, just shipped to the address given. (Can that even happen?) He then automatically accepts the return, apologizes profusely I feel this way...he says he is 100% sure it's not a reprint (maybe he just believes that?) and wants to make it right...I wasn't expecting that for sure.

So...what to do. Why didn't it go to the Authenticators? Did I do something wrong? I have until 3/27 to send in the return...do I expedite to SGC (my preferred grader) and throw another $125 at it to verify? Or do I just return it and call it good. (I assume Ebay would have my back on their guarantee if I ship it back with their label.)

Finding myself in some uncharted waters...

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03