View Single Post
Old 06-04-2014, 11:04 AM

Default Trans-fo and more-fo

Thanks Judson...I was thinking of making the color issue part of a new thread. I have reposted my comments here for easier reference.

All of my red and green Batter-Ups are from #1-40. I have examples of all of the colors for #'s 41-80 except for red and green. Definitely makes it appear like the set, at least the first 80 cards, was issued in groups of 40.

To extrapolate, the higher number cards, which are noticeably shorter, would most likely have been issued in two 56 card groupings, which would account for the 112 additional cards (#'s 81 -192).

Perhaps the first two printings of 40 were 8 across and 5 down on a sheet, while, the second two printings could have been 8 across and 7 down on a sheet (with some of the extra room coming from the shorter heighth of the cards). Thus National Chicle could have dropped the two colors after their first 1-40 sheet run.

A side point...I have always been floored how many HOF players are in the first 40 cards (22), compared to how many are found #'s 41-80 (5). National Chicle was certainly stacking the deck with their first run.

Brian