View Single Post
Old 02-23-2024, 10:00 AM
James M

Couple of random thoughts I had while looking through the charts again

* There are 56 subjects that have the Sweet Cap Black Fac 25 and 42 backs. Of those 56, 55 of them also contain the Sweet Cap Red back. The only one that does not is the Leifield A In Signature front. Of course, his second card, the "AP In Signature" front comes in the Sweet Cap Red back, but not the Sweet Cap Black backs. This would indicate that the Sweet Cap Red back was printed after the Black backs maybe? If they decided to change his card and add the AP in the signature on the front, presumably they did that before printing the Sweet Cap Red backs?

* Honest Long Cut was the third most prevalent back, with 174 fronts, coming in behind Polar Bear (191) and Piedmont (192). If you remove the 12 minor leaguers (printed with only Polar Bear and Hassan 649 backs), you get a list of 22 fronts without the Honest back. They are a pretty interesting sampling. You have the 13 short prints, then Chase Frame Ends, Dougherty White Sock, Graham (Both versions), Hoffman White Base, Wallace No Cap 2 Lines, and Wilhelm Suff ed. I would assume, looking at this, that Piedmont, Polar Bear and Honest were meant to be the 3 "flagship" printings of the T205 set. There is a big dropoff from Piedmont, Polar Bear and Honest down to the next most populous backs: Sovereign 119, Sweet Cap Red 117, and Hassan 30 at 112.

* There are 23 fronts that have an American Beauty back but no Cycle back. There are 20 fronts that have a Cycle back but no American Beauty back, with 13 of those being the short prints. The non shortprints with a Cycle back but no American Beauty back are: Chase Frame Ends, Fletcher, Graham Rustlers, Hemphill, Davy Jones, Harry McIntyre, and Overall. None of those cards stands out in any way, so, I wonder if the AB back does exist, because I can't see a reason why it wouldn't. The Chase example can be explained, because his "Frame Extends" copy does have an American Beauty back, they likely just never bothered to print it with an AB back when printing the Frame Ends front. The others, I don't know.