Thread: eBay vault
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2022, 08:15 PM
Frank Wakefield

The Vault, to me, seems to be like a massive extension of the idea of putting a card in a slab.

My first thought was that it would be in California, where eBay is. And then I thought about earthquakes... West of the San Adreas would not be a good location.

If they build it, they need virtually no one knowing where it is, it would be a lucrative target for burglary.

The whole idea is a very close cousin to NFTs. You 'own' something you can't experience with any of your five senses. You can't see a ball card that's there, you only get to see a scan or picture that is floating around on the internet.

Next step will be do you want your collectables in The Original eBay Vault here on Earth, or The Lunar eBay Vault. And later, the The Mars eBay Vault. What do you reckon the sales tax is on Mars????

I agree with what's been posted about eBay providing a grading service; they'll be doing it all. And a day might come where they stop accepting cards unless they're graded by eBay Grading... No PSA / SGC / Beckett nor the rest allowed.

So, just when you think you've seen it all, out this comes; and then you won't ever get to see anything again.

For the sales / use tax... I think the sales tax is owed when it is bought, regardless of where it is stored or delivered. The seller charges the buyer, then remits it to the taxing entity.

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 03-17-2022 at 08:22 PM. Reason: adding that last tax sentence