View Single Post
Old 08-03-2007, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Default Best way to build the monster?

Posted By: Chad

That just brought back a flood of bad memories. I have more Score and Sportflics and Kraft mac and Cheese boxes and Topps mini's and 7-11 discs than I can count. God I was stupid. The only good decisions I made as a young collector was asking for T206 cards for Christmas.

(I like the 7-11 discs, actually. The Slurpees were excellent, too. I like me a cola Slurpee!)

--Chad

Oh yeah, collecting T206's? When I was trying to work on the set, I would track ebay auctions and then bid $25 on low grade cards I thought still looked ok. If I won, great, and if I didn't, that was fine, too. When I decided to become obsessive about Negro Leaguers, I sold them all as a lot and did ok with the return. I've noticed that large lots of T206's don't go cheap. There's a lot of people out there that either don't want to go to the trouble of buying one card at a time and so will pay a premium for a lot, or they think there may be one or two high grade cards in an ungraded lot and will pay for the chance to get them graded. Anyway, it's also helpful to have books and resource material about the 1908-1912 baseball seasons handy, too, as learning about the players and stories of those years help keep you fired up about some of the commons, many of which you'll discover aren't so common!