View Single Post
Old 04-06-2023, 02:28 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Luckily, you've got options here, since this piece trades a lot. So there's no need to rush out and buy the first one you see just to scratch that itch.

I would spend some time assessing my budget, and more specifically figuring out what I want to get with my budget (i.e. graded, not graded, condition, centering, paper loss, etc). Then spend some time looking at recent sales and see where the market is these days for cards that fit your profile. Part of the fun is that it's always going to be a range. Maybe tweak your budget a little depending on what you find out, as you decide whether you want to maybe aim a little higher or a little lower to get just the right piece.

If you're not in a hurry, then you can afford to be patient and wait for the right time and the right piece. Especially since it sounds like this will be your new crown jewel, so you don't want to rush it to just check a box and get it done. Make sure you get the good stuff, and savor the process, especially since this might be one of the few times you'll ever get here.

Historically, auctions have been one of your best bets for landing quality pieces at the best prices. Not always and not for everything, but often they can be less expensive than retail or eBay BIN prices. So a big part of my strategy would be lurking around auctions with pieces that meet my criteria, getting in on the action, but setting a limit for when you're ready to bow out and let someone else have it if they exceed your limit.

Having said that, during the last few years, auctions can sometimes just go nuts. So know when to walk away, be cool with losing an auction, and recognize that sometimes the winner is actually the loser because they had to overpay. Sometimes the right card will come up at the right price on another venue, so make sure you're actively scoping out all of those spots, including the BST here. And don't be shy about making offers for the right piece, because sometimes sellers build in a little cushion with a plan to negotiate down a bit.

Lastly, while it's always easy to get all hopped up and emotionally psyched about a big buy like this, do your best to keep a level head and approach it analytically, just to avoid getting out over your skis and buying based on emotion. Taking it slow will probably help you to get there, although you might have to remind yourself a few times to not get emotional about it.

And then when you finally pick up the right card and the right price, you should totally go nuts celebrating all you want.

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 04-06-2023 at 02:30 PM.