View Single Post
Old 03-20-2018, 01:28 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

What a thread. Intrigue, insults, empathy, religious intolerance etc. From someone who walked through the Battlefields/War Eagle mine field auctions several times, I am happy to relate a couple of my experiences. I won and received one card that was photo shopped, a '55 Bowman Eddie Mathews described as nrmt. Well, it had a large blob of paper affixed and quite rightly received a PSA 1. I wanted to return it but no response from Carol. Another: When Leon outed the REA high grade "A" Mantles, which were subsequently offered up at nrmt etc., one was a '55 Bowman. I had purchased earlier the same issue which was subtly different than the REA one. It had been advertised as nrmt. PSA deemed it a vg 3. There must have been a hidden flaw I couldn't discover because it is a fine looking specimen Both these cards are currently in the current LOTG auction. And finally Carol offered up a batch of T206's some time back and went to great lengths in the description to contend they all measured right and would grade. All imperfections were detailed and clearly shown in the scans. I took a chance and won the Elberfield Washington and thank God it came back a PSA 6.5 and did well at auction, so I made some money. That only shows that not all their cards were misrepresented, as others have stated. Perhaps the sons are trying to atone for the sins of their parents and if that is the case, then good on them. The proof in the pudding will be when one of their high profile cards, such as the Red Heart Mantle, goes under the knife at a TPG. I say Candiman at least deserves a chance.