View Single Post
Old 07-29-2017, 09:43 AM
Sam Sw@rtz

I spent the better part of the day there Wednesday. I understand you can generally buy more cards at "reasonable" prices through eBay and auctions, but I just love the National. It's the one day a year I feel like a kid again. I learned a couple years ago not to bring a want list because I could never check any boxes and often bought stuff I never knew I wanted. So I went with a little bit of cash and an open mind.

I also went with the intention of meeting more board members and had a great time meeting dudes like Corey (Addie Joss) and Chris (the-Illini). I found the collector dudes like these to have nice cards at reasonable prices. I was fortunate Chris was willing to part with a nice Goudey Ruth 181.

At the Mile High booth, there was a case with 4-5 cards in it including a PSA 7 E-90-1 Cy Young that I swore I had seen before. Beautiful as it was, it was a bit out of my price range, so I ended up buying the card next to it, a 33 Ruth 144 PSA 2.5 that, again, was vaguely familiar to me. Bought it from some dude named Leon. Really good guy.

I agree with an earlier sentiment that one of the best booths with cards for sale is Luckiest Man and Card Country. Brady and Jeff have great eyes for cards so there is some really good quality stuff there.

All in all, just looking at the eye candy and meeting some good dudes was worth the trip. Bringing some extra cardboard home was icing on the cake.